This class is for anyone who has ever wanted to learn how to draw to scale, create a design, and fully experience the process of installation. Each student will draw a sketch for your own (small) installation- I will help you tighten the design, materials and method. For this project we will be working with heavy ceramic and quarry tile. The tile will be cut and fitted to a template designed for the fireplace in the workshop of Camp Bella Soul (sorry y’all, cant take this one home). But you will take your own design with you, all mapped out and ready to use. We will be working with large pieces of tile, cut both by hand and with a tile saw.
There is a physical component to this class. You will be standing and using a tile saw; you may be on your hands and knees and you will need to stand up to adhere the tile to the fireplace walls. This is not heavy lifting but it is about being able to work from floor to ceiling. Make sure you are up for it, and bring your creativity, and your can do spirit!
- Students will sketch, layout and ultimately create a template as a guide to assist with layout and placement of the tiles on a vertical surface.
- Students will learn to cut, shape, and adhere tile. This knowledge will translate to other types of backsplash and vertical installations. The tile used during class is also suitable for horizontal applications.
- Students will learn what is needed to prepare walls for tiling, how to mix the cementitious adhesive and get used to spreading it as well as understanding slaking, open time and where to start and complete an installation.
- Attention will be paid to pattern, interstice, edges and creating a clean and polished installation.
Class length: 4 days, 10am to 3pm, with a 45 minute lunch break
- Day one – Sketch, adjust layout, and choose colors for your own installation
- Day two – Complete your own template in the am. After lunch, begin the fireplace template.
- Day three – Cut/Fit tile according to the template, become accustomed to adhering the tile directly.
- Day four – Finish edges, grout, clean fill in any open space. Round table review, critique and short private consultation with each student to help with future projects of this nature and to assist in determining goals if time permits.
Cost for four days is $475 plus $15 materials fee.
Debora has a BA in Art/Illustration and a BS in Landscape Architecture/Horticulture. Since 1997 she has been creating mosaics for clients nationally and abroad for public and private collectors and public art at Universities and schools including Wesleyan and St Johns Prep and Bank St. NYC as well as in hospitality and healthcare. Her work has been exhibited internationally at the Olive Stack Gallery in Listowel, Co. Kerry Ireland in November, Museum of Glass, Seattle WA, the Alex Von Schlepi Gallery, UNCONN, CT, Deavy Art Gallery in Los Angeles, CA in 2015. Her work is in private collections in North America, Australia and Europe. As the principal designer for Pietre Dure Design, she works with Landscape Architects, Architects and Home owners and art collectors creating dimensional installations for interior and exterior settings. She travels the country spreading her passion for mosaics with students teaching design and techniques to improve skills for hands, heads and hearts.
She trained with mosaic Masters: Maggy Howarth and Verdiano Marzi, Koko Mosaico in Italy and others. For information visit- www.pietreduredesign.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lodging ranges from $65 to $150 per night and is conveniently located a stone’s throw from the studio which is open 24 hours. Come early, stay longer or arrive the morning of class. Enjoy the private beach and full use of canoes, kayaks, paddleboard and floats in your spare time. Food is not included with lodging so bring a cooler packed with your favorite fixings. Two full kitchens are waiting for you as are local grocery stores if you prefer to shop when you arrive. Fresh produce from local farms is also available nearby, as are restaurants. Contact Nancy Maloney 978.882.3390 with questions.
Registration and Cancellation Policy
A deposit of $300 will reserve your spot. The remainder of payments are due at the close of registration on July 28. Cancellation Policy- If you must cancel a full refund will be returned if four weeks before class. If cancelling within two weeks you will forfeit your deposit(s).